"Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies." Psalm 36:5

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Few PC Beach Critters

Since moving here we've come across some interesting critters like sting rays, jellyfish, snakes, brilliant green lizards and even an armadillo.  Unfortunately, I've only had my camera a few of these times, like when I came across this guy outside our apartment...

While living in Oklahoma, we'd seen many armadillos that never made it across the road...this was the first time I'd seen one alive and searching for food...pretty cool.
I also had my camera with me at the beach one spring day when, after a storm, there were quite a few of these clear jellyfish that had washed up on the shore...
From what I've been able to research, this thankfully is not a venemous jelly so that's a relief since there were quite a few in the water along with these Moon Jellyfish which do sting a little bit...

According to the locals, pouring vinegar on the sting and scraping off the stingers with a credit card is the best way to deal with these...so of course I added a small bottle of vinegar to my beach bag.
Recently, about a month ago right after the oil spill had just occurred, I came across about 5 dead Portugese Man O War jellys washed up on the shore, just didn't have my camera...those are scary because they are very poisonous & painfull...here's a photo from the internet...
 
Yeah, I could have done without knowing these were in our waters!

No comments:

Post a Comment